Thursday, April 27, 2023

Boldly going...?

I probably should preface this by saying liked "Star Trek: Picard" season 3.

Then again, I liked Seasons 1 and 2. Also, I liked "Star Trek: Discover" Seasons 1-4; "Lower Decks" seasons 1-3; "Strange New Worlds", and even "Prodigy" even thought it took a couple of episodes to get into its groove. So, I suppose my taste is already suspect.

And yet after a week separated from the "Picard" Season 3 finale, I'm left with an uncertain feeling...

Minor spoilers and a lot of rambling, I suppose, after the Spoiler Alert.


I wish I remember where I saw it, but I stumbled across someone wondering whether or not Picard Season Three fans would end being embarrassed by their extreme enthusiasm once the empty calories and sugar rush wore off.

I wonder...

Still, I'm struck by the near defensive position these most vocal fans whenever anyone dare suggest it might not be as transcendent as they think. I mean, the crew of the Enterprise-D saves the day--who cares about the details?

Then there is the steady drumbeat from these fans, who want the inevitable follow-up. Sure, there are two seasons of Strange New Worlds; two seasons of Lower Decks; at least a season of Prodigy; the final season of Discovery; the Starfleet Academy and the Section 31 special movie event in the pipeline--in other words, a whole of star trekking--but they want a multi-season commitment now.


Let's be fair, there is a proud(?) tradition of Star Trek fans making a lot of noise in an attempt to get the studio to capitulate to their demands. 

What would this Legacy show even be? What new ground would this series cover not already covered by the four other Trek series currently being produced? 

Apparently a greatest hits compilation is what the fans want. I guess as long as it brings in additional Paramount Plus subscriptions, it really doesn't matter. 

And it was a greatest hits collection. 

After each episode, my mind kept wandering back to The Chris Farley Show skit on SNL.


Remember "Wrath of Khan", that was awesome?" Remember "Best of Both Worlds", that was awesome too. Have some Best of Both Worlds. You liked the Enterprise reveal at the end of "Voyage Home", right? Here you can have it again, but twice. And so on...

Or if I wanted to uncharitable--it reminded me of the "Hush" storyline in Batman. Even though it was hodgepodge of better Batman stories latched together by the power of Jim Lee, it still ends up on the top of a lot of Best of Batman lists.

For all of the criticism Season 1 and 2 received, I have to give it credit for trying to be something different. Maybe that's the source of my grumpiness, I've never full forgiven the suits at Paramount for releasing a Season 3 trailer in the middle of Season 2. It struck me as a vote of no-confidence in their product and a pathetic appeal to a vocal portion of the fanbase--"we know you don't like this, but look what we have coming. You'll like this. Honest. Please, please, please, don't cancel your subscriptions."

Whatever, I enjoyed this season. There are far worse ways to waste an hour on a Thursday evening.

I'm probably not going to revisit it, unless it ends up on one of the Pluto TV Trek channels--then again, I rarely revisit anything these days unless it's just background noise. 

Did I have a point to any of this?

No, then again did Picard Season 3?

I'll shut up now.




No comments: